Welcome to Tallulah, Louisiana! Established in 1839, Madison Parish was named in honor of President James Madison. The parish originally included portions of the present-day parishes of Franklin and Tensas. LaSalle explored the Madison Parish area on his journey down the Mississippi River in 1682, but permanent settlements did not take place until the early nineteenth century. Particularly, the depression of 1837 brought an influx of settlers from the Atlantic seaboard states.
Madison Parish, a thriving region with slightly over 12,400 residents, sustains itself on the cattle industry, forestry, petroleum production and agriculture production. Principal crops include cotton, soybeans, corn, rice, and crawfish. Tallulah, the parish's seat, is home to the oldest airport in Louisiana, where the process of spraying crops from airplanes was first developed. Tallulah also bears the distinction of having the first covered mall in the United States.
The hunter, fisherman, and nature lover will not want to miss the 65,000-acre Tensas River National Wildlife Refuge, Madison's most popular attraction.
Wright Elementary School
Tallulah Elementary School
Madison Middle School
Madison High School
Madison Alternative School
Louisiana Delta Community College
McMillin Real Estate