Telemedicine allows real time exchange of medical information between patient and physician regardless of distance. The advantages to telemedicine are:
- Allows you to stay in your community while receiving specialized care
- Access to specialists and information that you may otherwise not have due to transportation difficulties, cost of travel/gas, or limitation.
- You have a chance to tell the specialist about your medical history and ask questions directly, instead of your symptoms being relayed through your physician
- The specialist can ask you questions directly
- The specialist can diagnose and recommend treatment immediately
- Maintains the relationship between the primary care provider and the patient
Not all illnesses and problems can be diagnosed through telemedicine; some require a face-to-face physical assessment. Though no service is perfect, telemedicine is a positive and growing medical treatment option.
Telemedicine may not be for you if you prefer a more personal or face-to-face relationship.